Sunday, September 5, 2010

Chocolate Tangerine Pot de crème with salted caramelized Pistachios...YUMMY!!!





I don't recall who first told me about this, but imagine if you will, a dessert made with avocado.  Personally, nothing of the sort had ever crossed my mind, and since I try to limit my soy intake whenever possible... I filed it away in my memory bank and decided I'd give it a test run on a dinner guest tonight.  OK, the "guest" is just Jose....tee hee!  

There were plenty of opportunities for me to taste test along the way and I can safely say that this is one LUSCIOUS dessert.  I suggest the teeny tiny ramekins... this is some SERIOUSLY RICH stuff.  Flavor idea courtesy Pazzo, the pistachios my (ahem) brilliant twist!!!  I hope you love it as much as I do!  

Soy free & vegan.   Bon Appétit!!!


6 tangerines (all juiced except for 1/2)
zest of 1 medium orange
2 medium-large avocados
1 10 oz. package Enjoy Life semi sweet chocolate chips
1.5 tsp liquid vanilla extract
small handful raw pistachios coarsely chopped
1 Tbsp maple syrup (optional)
1 Tbsp brown rice syrup (or maple syrup)
pinch of coarse salt (ideally Himalayan Pink)


1- blend avocados together with a few tablespoons of the tangerine juice and 1 tsp vanilla, until you've achieved a smooth pudding-like consistency

2- melt chocolate chips in a double boiler, over low heat constantly stirring with a whisk.  add remaining juice to chocolate mixture and stir until relatively smooth.  add mixture to the avocado mix already in blender and blend together until all ingredients are incorporated and any remaining lumpiness is smoothed out.  taste along the way.  if it's not sweet enough for you, add a little maple syrup to your liking.

3- ladle into 2.5 oz. ramekins and set aside to cool.

4- coat pistachios with brown rice syrup (or maple), add 1/2 tsp vanilla and brulee with a torch (or caramelize over a stovetop with a little added water).  remove from heat and immediately add a pinch of coarse salt over pistachios and let cool.  

5- top the chocolate-filled ramekins with pistachios and tangerine supremes (skin/ membrane/ pith removed)




Chill for 3-4 hours before serving & enjoy same or next day.... Yummy yummm yummm!!!!


** Makes about ten 2.5 oz. ramekins



*** Note: I distributed these to friends and neigbors alike, and made each of them guess the secret ingredient... and not a single one of them could, so to those of you who are concerned about the avocado taste being overpowering-- don't be!  Props to these brave volunteers-- because telling me there's a secret ingredient in something is enough to make me not want to try it!  







No comments:

Post a Comment