Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Oh-so-refreshing seasonal kanten!!!




I first discovered the wonders of kanten at Real Food Daily in West Hollywood. It's a vegan version of jell-o, with consistencies ranging from harder than jell-o to applesauce-ish to custard-like.  I prefer the latter and it's taken me some practice to perfect just the right texture.  Now that I have, I am sharing it with you, my lovely readers!

Instead of animal-based gelatin (made from the hooves, bones, tissue, organs and some intestines of animals),  substitute agar agar (a seaweed based gelatin substitute).  To achieve the right consistency, I add one key ingredient: kuzu (Japanese wild arrowroot starch).  I haven't tried this with regular arrowroot, but I have a hunch it will work.  Do let me know how it turns out if you try this substitution!

Use your organic fruits of choice (I am especially enjoying pear/ strawberry at the moment) and enjoy this deliciously simple treat!!!


1.5 cups fruit diced into 1/8" pieces
3 cups unfiltered fresh pressed apple juice
Pinch sea salt
2 Tbsp agar agar flakes
3 Tbsp kuzu


Arrange diced fruit in a bowl.  Bring your apple juice, salt and agar to a light boil, frequently stirring to dissolve agar... about 5-8 minutes.  Dilute your kuzu in a bit of water, and  as soon as you remove apple juice mixture from heat, stir in your kuzu.  Add liquid mixture over fruit and let cool.  Refrigerate and then enjoy topped with a little cinnamon sprinkled on top and/ or chopped nuts and/ or fresh mint... DOUZO MESHIAGARE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment